We’re back with the second part of our gose with fruit, just from where we left, when Safale K-97 was finishing the fermentation, 6 days after pitching after fermenting with Lactobacillus which lowered the pH to 3.30. In that entry, we also posted a picture with the fruits we were going to use, pomegranates, blackberries and pineapples.
After fermenting the gose base beer, we ended with a little less than 15 liters (3.96 gallons), which we divided in three PET bottles where we would add the fruits. Evidently, these PET bottles were previously sanitized. Densidy was 1.010 at that moment, probably the fermentation was not totally finsished.
In this entry we will focus in how we added each fruit and the process it followed until we bottled the beers. For now on, we will refer to the three different gose as Gosegra (with pomegranates), Gosemo (with blackberries) and Gosepi (with pineapples).
We’re going to go first with the addition of the blackberries for our Gosemo. The blackberries we used, about 630 g (1.39 oz), have been picked two months ago and from then on they had been in the freezer. As we were going to do all the process in the afternoon, we take out the blackberries from the freezer in the morning to give them time to thaw. In this case, apart from keeping the fruit in the freezer, the processing was none. We just added the blackberries to the bottom of a PET bottle and then we siphoned carefully about 5.5 liters (1.45 gallons) of the base gose beer.
In the case of pomegranates, the process was more complex. Instead of adding them directly, we decided to make pomegranate molasses, a typical ingredient in Middle Eastern cooking. We thought this could be a good way for the pomegranates to impart their flavor to the beer. To do this, first we seeded 6 pomegranates and then we got the juice from a squeezer, obtaining about 1 liter (0.26 gallons) of pomegranate juice. We simmered this juice with the juice from one lemon and 100 g (3.53 oz) of table sugar for 45-50 minutes. Then we let it cool and we transferred it to a PET bottle just before adding about 4 liters (1.06 gallons) of the base gose beer.
It was time for Gosepi, which was going have pineapple added. In particular, pineapple juice. We squeezed two pineapples to get a little bit more than 1 liter (0.26 gallons) of pineapple juice. We didn’t use all this volume and instead we added 850 mL (0.22 gallons) to the PET bottle. Finally, as we did for the two other beers, the last thing we did was to transfer the base beer to the PET bottle, about 4.5 liters (1.19 gallons) for Gosepi.
After filling the three PET bottles with base beer, we put a cap with an airlock in each one of them and we put them in the fermentation chamber, set at 18ºC (64.4ºF), so the yeast could ferment the extra sugars from the fruits we had just added. We were left over with 1 liter (0.26 gallons) of the gose base beer that we transferred to a 1.5 liters (0.40 gallons) PET bottle and carbonated with a carbonator cap to taste it. It was a pitty that we didn’t take a picture of it so you could see the aspect of this base beer. A nice golden colour, maybe a little bit sourer than the first gose we brewed, although it was a pleasant sourness, nothing too aggressive, very drinkable.
Next morning, 9-10 hours after mixing fruit and gose base beer, fermentation activity was obvious in the three bottles. In each one of them an increasing krausen was forming. The following days those krausen got smaller until they disappeared. After 5 days, it looked like fermentation was over, so we decided to bottle next morning. So 6 days passed from the day we added the fruit until the day we bottled.
After cleaning and sanitizing the bottles and bottling material, we used some free time while we were brewing another beer to bottle these three beers. Gosepi and Gosemo were quite clear, whereas Gosegra had a hazier and milky aspect.
We took a gravity reading and we got a little surprise. While Gosepi and Gosemo had the final gravity we expected, 1.008, Gosegra had a final gravity of 1.016. We don’t know what could have caused this difference. Maybe fermentation had stopped in this beer due to an unknown problem? Was the pomegranate molasses too hot when we added them? We didn’t have time, and although we knew we had some risk of over carbonation with this beer, we decide to bottle it. In the case of Gosegra, we added some of the yeast cake from Gosepi, just in case the problem was the yeast.
With this problem in our heads, we added enough sugar syrup to get 2.6 volumes of CO2 for Gosemo and Gosepi and just half of it for Gosegra, to try to avoid an over carbonation if the fermentation was no finished. The more logical and reasonable thing to do was to wait some time, but unfortunately that was not possible, so we crossed our fingers.
Finally we got 15 33 cL (12 oz) bottles of Gosemo, 14 33 cL (12 oz) bottles of Gosepi and 11 33 CL (12 oz) bottles of Gosegra, all of them with an ABV of a little bit more than 4%. We will let you know how they ended soon.