To finish our round of tastings of the three goses with fruit we brewed at the same time it’s time to tell about the final result of the ones we added pomegranates, named Gosegra. Before starting, as some of you may recall, we noticed that, before bottling, the final gravity of this beer was 1.016, while the other two, the one with pineapple and the one with blackberries reached a final gravity of 1.008. We were afraid that the beer hadn’t completely attenuated and, when we opened the first bottles, our fears came true. It was impossible to open one bottle without losing at least half of the liquid inside because of the high pressure. We tried to open the caps a little bit to free some CO2 but it wasn’t enough. At least, we didn’t have any bottle bomb. Nevertheless, we were able to drink it, at least some of it. Next time we won’t risk to bottle with such a high final gravity (comparing with the theoretical value, of course).
Regarding appearance, this version with pomegranate molasses is, by far, the haziest of the three. Maybe some of this haziness can be explained with the mix between the liquid and the yeast due to the excess of gas. Apart for this haziness, it is light pink in colour and it has a white foam that disappears quite rapidly.
In the aroma there are, above all things, fruity esters coming very likely from the pomegranates. There is almost no sign of malt and none sign of hops.
Flavourwise, acidity is quite appealing, in part because the pomegranates, after the fermentation of all the sugars, leave a good mix of fruity esters. It seems a little bit more bitter that the other two goses we brewed at the same time. As in aroma, no signs of hops and only a little bit of grains.
In spite of the little disaster that was bottling before fully attenuation, what we were able to drink has left me with the feeling that pomegranates can be very interesting ingredient for future brews, with acid beers like this or other type of non sour dark ales. We will keep you posted when we used them again in new brews. In that case, for security reasons, we will make sure that the attenuation reaches the final point before bottling.